Wednesday, July 8, 2009


Vegetable Manchurian with left over rice!

Yes, left over rice.... I cooked too much rice on the weekend and did not know what to do with it. Then it struck me... long back when I was in India, I had seen this recipe on a cooking show - either Tarla Dalal or Khana Khazana about making manchurian with left over rice! I had made it many times in India (10-12 years back!). I decided to try it again....rather reluctantly because... I hate frying... its so messy (and I have to clean it all up) and I try to stay away from it for obvious reasons... my bulging midriff and hubby's triglycerides! Hey but once in a while, indulging in to sinful fried bliss is OK.. right? But, it is never once in a while - last weekend was the long weekend, so first there were burgers, then brownies, then chocolate cake, then pakoras... the list goes on! Everyday I say to myself... I need to stop, I need to stop.... and I really need to... soon it will happen ;).... for now here goes the recipe -

For the manchurian balls
Left over rice
1 tbls corn starch (if the rice is cooked with enough water and is starchy then no need for the corn starch - just make sure you can form round balls after adding veggies)
Shredded cabbage
Grated carrots
Any other vegetables you want to add - green beans, peas, etc.. finely chopped or mashed)
Salt to taste
Oil for frying

For the gravy - I adopted the gravy recipe from this blog and modified it to my taste. Prema has other excellent recipes you should definitely check out.

For the balls, mash the rice, mix all the ingredients together and make small balls. Fry them on medium (not to high, otherwise the balls break) heat. Mix them in the above gravy and garnish with spring onions. Serve with the Chinese fried rice. When hubby takes the first bite and says - "This is tooo good" without asking him how it is, you know it has to be good ;)

7 comments:

Divs said...

Heeehee...I love the way you write Jyo. Especially the last sentence "When hubby takes the first bite and says - "This is tooo good" without asking him how it is, you know it has to be good ;)" Brought a smile to my face and an instant temptation to try the recipe :-)

Jyoti said...

Thanks Div... ya, now a days you dont get anything without asking for it :)... try it out, it is very easy to make. I am doing a lot of cooking these days.. will post more soon.

Anonymous said...

SBJ - Jyoti, Its nice to see you write. I used to write too, but now with very limited time on my hands I keep a journal kinda word document.
You are a good cook - You inspire the hidden (dying) cook in me!

Jyoti said...

Hi SBJ.. thanks... I am sorry but I did not recognize you...can you please tell me who you are?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

520免費視訊meet.成人交友meet 520.唐人街視訊聊天室.啦咧華人視訊交友聊天室.0401 影音視訊聊天網.hotsee視訊聊天.hotsee總站.show78視訊交友.日本免費視訊聊天.亞洲瘋情網.2girl女子拉拉學園.showgirl情色視訊.1007 影音視訊交友網.tvnet 影音聊天室.視訊交友網1758.視訊交友520show net.聊天室wewet.視訊美女kkyou.聊天室交友b shop.情色網站live.聊天室交友primo.聊天室交友25 h.成人聊天室top chip.520聊天室.視訊ggo.免費視訊ggo.視訊美女jealousy.0509 免費視訊聊天秀.免費視訊聊天 173.520sex免費視訊.666成人.一夜成人聊天室.免費試看成人片.孤男寡女聊天室.免費聊天交友.383影音live秀.s38視訊聊天avdd.視訊美女ws888.視訊美女didipp.gogogirl 視訊美女.38girl視訊美女.uthome 影音視訊聊天室.uthome視訊聊天室.ut 免費視訊聊天.免費視訊4h.免費視訊celia.國外美女視訊免費看.視訊影音聊天hibb.免費視訊csr.girl578視訊影音live.視訊交友icase.免費視訊toolbox.成人交友hibb.qq美美色網影片.avshow成人情色網.影音聊天mm17i.免費聊天交友mm17i.視訊聊天meet520.交友聊天室meet 520.視訊聊天交友mm358.上班族追愛聯盟.免費聊天情人fm358

Divs said...

Hi Jyo - long time no more posts from you? BTW just wanted to let you know that you have been tagged :-) Pls visit my latest post to see what you need to do. Hopefully this brings up a new post from your end for me to read :-)